The Beaux-Arts style landmark was built in 1914; the architect was John J. Donovan. Originally known as the Oakland Civic Auditorium, it was renamed in honor of Henry J. Kaiser after a 1984 renovation.
The city closed the facility in 2006 and its future is uncertain.
The 2 story high niches facing Lake Merritt were designed by Alexander Sterling Calder, the father of the more famous Calder (of mobile fame). They depict allegorical figures & activities, part of why it is Beaux Arts in style.
© Allen Hirsch Photography